[ExI] Is there a potential libertarianism / democracy tension?

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Tue Sep 27 12:05:39 UTC 2011

On 26 September 2011 15:24, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clearly different libertarians are going to disagree on the order of
> deconstruction, and on the rate of said deconstruction. That's fine,
> that's all in the details. The point is to reverse the out of control
> growth of the government.

Lots of interesting points in there, cheers Kelly, but nothing i personally
feel inclined or qualified to argue one way or the other. I think you're
right that different libertarians hold different views about how to approach
the entire endeavour, and that a similar spread of attitudes would exist in
response to any potential mass opposition to it.

The main reason I asked in the first place was that I was starting to think
that a much narrower set of views were generally considered to "count" as
libertarian than I had originally understood, so what I thought of as my own
'moderate', 'atypical', or 'lapsed' Minarchism was in fact nothing of the
sort (I very much like the idea of government with very strict
jurisdictional boundaries, but personally draw those boundaries in places
that put me at odds with most libertarians). I've found this conversation
reassuring, to see that there is not a single school of thought on all
matters libertarian.

Cheers,