[ExI] Feasibility of solid Dyson Sphere WAS mbrains again: request

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Sep 29 22:32:20 UTC 2011

Dennis May wrote:
> Spike wrote:
>
> > The MBrain is a target, in a sense, but certainly not a helpless
> target.
> > This one has a built-in speed of light self-defense system.
>
> Been through all that kind of discussion before.  Whatever defenses
> you build the resources outside to overcome them can be as large
> as it takes.  Beams of diffuse anti-matter dust are my favorite.

It is trivial to overcome any defenses by simply postulating even bigger
attack resources. But cost-effectiveness will get you.

In order to damage a 1 AU shell composed of 1 m^2 diamond hard objects
each object need to be hit with (say) the explosive force of 0.1 kg TNT,
or around 2e-9 kg of antimatter. A circular beam with a diameter 2 AU
with one such pellet per square meter (which would of course only
seriously damage part of the sphere) would need 1.4e14  kg of
antimatter. That is a biggish mountain of antimatter you need to make.
And for an entire surface attack you need 4 times as much.

I can see a Dyson shell brew up that much antimatter in a few weeks, but
anything lesser would find it tough. And if you already have a Dyson,
the opportunity costs of spending your energy on antimatter to mess with
the neighbors (aeons in the future, from the subjective timescale of the
fast processes online) will be very high. You better have a very good
reason, especially since it is pretty obvious who is responsible.

Mbrains will no doubt look quaint as we get ever better ideas of how to
arrange matter to do useful things, but so far they represent one of the
more well analysed development directions. If you find them silly, why
don't you propose a better approach and show us your engineering?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute