[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:02:48 UTC 2012

On 1 April 2012 12:08, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> All this talk about privacy becoming a thing of the past seems rather
> silly to me.  Our whole society (and, some people think, even the evolution
> of our big brains) is dependent on deception and concealing information.

Perhaps, and by the increasingly monumental failure in the attempt of doing
so.

What kind of privacy have men, be they chiefs or subjects, ever enjoyed in
history but in the framework of urban life, in some restricted areas,
during the last couple of centuries?

My objection is simply that we should not parochially take for granted or
for the "normal state of things" what has actually been nothing but a very
transient and limited evolutionary stage of our own civilisational model.
And that efforts at least nominally aimed at protecting it invariably end
up in *additional*, not reduced, social control (more laws to be enforced
to the detriment of citizens' liberties).

--
Stefano Vaj