[ExI] Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:12:26 UTC 2012

2012/4/1 Christian Vanderwall <cvanderwall14 at gmail.com>

> Very cool article about transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
> and its possible applications and moral consequences written by Sally
> Adee, a woman who has actually tried it.

tDCS doesn't seem specific enough to me. Even the arrayed tDCS paper had
really horrible targetting capability. I think transcranial ultrasound
still proves to have better targeting. First everyone was up in arms about
rTMS, which has a few centimeters in targeting, then tDCS again which has
somewhat *less* resolution, but whatever. Phased ultrasound arrays seems
like a better plan, because stimulating smaller regions of the brain gives
you more specific control instead of generic new-ageist "wave therapy".

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507