[ExI] why teaching creationism is a lesser evil

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:42:59 UTC 2012

On 12 April 2012 01:04, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am again reminded of the limitations of our minds and, much more so,
> our social organizations. In a competitive environment, the truth has
> a way of surviving and thriving which is why it's better to have a
> chaotic, multicentric educational system that exposes some pupils to
> intellectual garbage along with the truth rather than to have a
> bureaucracy claiming to have a monopoly on truth - and predictably
> failing to deliver, as evidenced by the mass brainwashing of children
> along environmentalist, antihumanist lines in US government schools.

If you are Sparta, or the Soviet Union, or the Vatican, or even Iran, I may
well imagine that what is taught to people is a state's concern.

For allegedly "pluralistic" regimes everything and anything could in
principle be taught, astrology included, to those interested.

Let us say that even in such circumstances, there is probably nothing wrong
that federal, state or municipal education be equally offered. And the
relevant entity or agency has obviously to decide what should or should not
included in the programmes, even though a libertarian might argue that if
such programmes are offered at taxpayers' expenses this amounts to unfair
competition to private educational initiatives. OTOH, the same taxpayers
are also the electors of the federal, statal or municipal authorities
concerned, or of those appointing them, so...

--
Stefano Vaj