[ExI] emp again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 28 15:29:04 UTC 2012

It's been about five years since we discussed electromagnetic pulse.  Have
we any EMP hipsters who are keeping up with the current thinking on that
topic?  If so, here's why I ask.  We are trying to decide what skills are
relevant to teach a kindergartner.  Most arithmetic is good for training the
mind in logic, but not worth mastering, for we have cell phones that can do
arithmetic.  Last I heard, an EMP would take out wire based communications
and cell phone towers but not the cell phones themselves.  They would still
be stand-alone computers, which could easily be charged with pedal-driven
electricity.  Last I heard, the prevailing opinion was the cell phones would
likely survive an EMP if the prole is not talking on it at the time.  Does
that sound right?  Source?