[ExI] emp again

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 17:12:01 UTC 2012

Nope.  In fact, there are devices for sale that claim to be able to use
EMP to fry cell phones.  Use of them is, of course, blatantly illegal
for non-government-personnel in most industrialized countries, at
least in the typical situation where you're destroying someone else's
property without the property owner's consent.

Of course, anyone who would sell these is probably counting on that.
Mere ownership might not be a crime...but if it's a crime to try to use
it - do the courts look favorably on someone who claims a device
broke while it was being used for an attempted crime, thus preventing
that crime?

Further, there are quite a few places where at least basic arithmetic
is required and obvious electronic aids are either not permitted or are
a hindrance.  So it still seems appropriate to train children in basic
arithmetic: multiplication tables through 10*10, order of operations,
basic trig, and so on.