[ExI] self driving cars again

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:28:23 UTC 2012

It seems to me that the initial killer-app will be taxi companies. In big
cities like New York where relatively few people own cars and taxis are
prevalent, the psychological problem of "but it's not MY car" simply isn't
an issue.

Cab companies will eliminate cab drivers, who apparently get about 50% of
the fare money, and pony up the increased costs for the initial automated
vehicles. Reduced rates for car insurance will probably help this whole
process along. Heck, in a reasonably short time after their introduction,
automated cars may pay for themselves through that alone.

Similarly for truck drivers, bus drivers, chauffeurs, etc. Basically anyone
whose job it is to drive someone else around is going to quickly disappear.
Once people get used to that, I think we'll see large scale adoption.
Suburbanites who don't commute downtown might not be willing to go in for
carshare services for a while though--there's little to no incentive for
them, and the psychological blocks Charlie mentioned are pretty big.