[ExI] pussy riot case

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Aug 19 20:14:01 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Subject: Re: [ExI] pussy riot case

On 19 August 2012 18:41, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.This Pussy Riot case worries me.  Suggestions please on how to stand in
solidarity with the Pussy Rioters?

>.Hey, coupla years for trespassing for the purpose of committing a felony?

Stefano, no way Jose.  Read on please.

>.What would it be like in the US, seven years according to federal
sentencing guidelines, right? :-)

No sir, not even close.  Read on please.

>.As much as I may like vandalism of monotheists' ceremonies in principle.

In order to qualify as vandalism, they would have needed to physically
destroy or deface in some way some physical object or asset.  This the Pussy
Riots did not do.  (What is the plural?  Is it Pussies Riot?  That sounds
like fun.  {8-])  From the news stories, it sounds to me like it was a
borderline call on trespassing, since ordinarily a church is considered
unrestricted public access.

>.I am too busy being concerned with Assange's predicament right now.  --
Stefano Vaj

Good call, thanks for watching that.  If you don't mind, have a you a
particular position on that?  One that you would not mind sharing?  I will
go first: ignore Julian's possibly annoying personality as irrelevant, and I
don't even know if it is true.  His stance on privacy is (I think) that all
public political figures in all public transactions should have their
secrets open to all.  We recognize this has its costs, such as our own
privacy to some extent.  But my notion is that government has access to our
secrets, so we should get access to theirs.

>>. Suggestions please on how to stand in solidarity with the Pussy Rioters?
spike

Regarding Pussy Riot, I respectfully disagree with your contention in all
three of your  lines above:

http://ivn.us/2012/08/18/what-pussy-riot-did-probably-wouldnt-even-be-a-crim
e-in-the-us/

Putin appears to be dragging the commies back to the bad old days.  We do
not need, nor can we afford, another cold war.  Just because the good guys
(sorta) won the first time doesn't mean we want to play again.  Anything
analogous to a new iron curtain must be resisted, for that essentially
divided the world of engineering and science into two camps, which had to
invent everything independently, and most of what we invented is mostly
useless war stuff.

We need to work with the commies, all of humanity a big, smart team,
thinking and working together on how to solve the looming crisis of a
worldwide energy shortage.  Support Kasparov, support Pussy Riot, make your
own decision on Julian and do explain your reasoning if you wish, thanks.

spike

Moderators note: since the Pussy Riot stuff and Julian's case are current
events and are subject to rapid change, if I get enough requests, we can
declare a temporary open season on these newsworthy topics.  If you have
relevant stuff to say on these current events, go on ahead and post over the
5-a-day guideline, and we will let it slide unless people complain, which I
doubt anyone will do on news stuff.  If so, be smart and stay on topic,
thanks.  s