[ExI] pussy riot case

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Aug 19 23:21:36 UTC 2012

On 19/08/2012 20:25, spike wrote:
> That isn't news, but the legal handling of his case interests me. It
> is clear enough that the charges against him are trumped up, and they
> really want him for his actions on transparency.

 From my semi-insiders perspective (since I discussed this extensively
with my Swedish lawyer boyfriend, which automatically makes me a super
expert :-) ), transparency is a side issue.

It more and more looks like a perfect storm of a narcissist with a posse
of professional paranoids meeting a career bureaucrat completely
untrained in how to handle escalation or explaining the finer point of
the Swedish system. Essentially prosecutor Ny's career is on the line,
and she misjudged 1) the publicity, 2) the chaotic international
aspects. The rest of the Swedish legal community are standing at the
sidelines and smiling.

The exception is Assange's lawyer who is trying to paint the system as
horrifically corrupt (which is the job was hired for) and a few people
who got annoyed enough to take him to task (there has been some
exchanges in the newspaper debate pages; basically the game is to find
flaws and argue they are huge or don't matter). The lawyer is winning
online and abroad, since people don't care for the actual boring fine
print and practice, just what the rules *seem* to say. He is not
convincing legal people at home, but that doesn't matter.

As for extradition, that is a howler. In principle the US can ask for
extradition from Sweden (or from the UK, which is much easier!). They
would then need to submit information enough to convince a Swedish court
that 1) there is a case, 2) there is enough information linking Assange
to criminal acts to warrant an extradition. Now, if you buy the
conspiracy theories all of this exists and is top secret - but keeping
that top secret in a Swedish court, even if the relationship to a
powerful foreign power is at stake, is quite tricky. And the courts can
be very independent (the foreign department is currently wringing their
hands over a civil case where a building the Russians consider covered
by diplomatic immunity is going to get sold for tax debts).

But the real circus would be whether Assange would be accused of a
capital crime. Sweden (like most EU countries) by principle do not
extradite people if they can be killed. So the procedure would be that
the Swedish prosecutor would ask their American counterpart to give a
written assurance that he would not seek the death penalty. This
assurance is never given, since writing one is apparently political
suicide for a US prosecutor. Without it nothing will happen.

There are some theoretical loopholes where the government can get around
the courts if they *really* badly wanted to send Assange west. But these
are burning bridges situations in a case like this: there would be nasty
constitutional hearings and it would turn essentially the entire legal
community against the government. They are still smarting over the
handling of one CIA suspect who ended up treated badly (I think he
finally ended up with asylum and compensation).

All this could have been avoided if certain people had not tended to
escalate. The proper handling would have involved a sequence of boring
bureaucratic decisions, likely ending with Assange going along with it
just to get the darn thing out of his hair.

I think outsiders do not comprehend that the transparency aspect of the
case is not very important in Sweden. People in general - including
politicians - are fairly in favor of Wikileaks. However, you do not mess
with the offended-industrial complex! The fact that he seems to have
behaved like a cad triggered some of the nastier sides of the legal
system, where political correctness goes hand in hand with puritanism.
The charges are not trumped up, it is just that in most countries the
law would have shrugged: "sorry, ladies, that's life". Here it
overreacted instead. This is why Ny is so tenacious: it is a matter of
*principle*... and her continued career.

I'm almost hoping he escapes to Ecuador so we can see the next chapter
when he has a falling out with El Presidente...

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute