[ExI] Dreams...

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:06:38 UTC 2012

Hi John,
I have a physics background but I have spent the last 2 years working in
data analysis of sleep in 2 world famous laboratories in the field. I'm not
working on dreams so I cannot give much of scholarly input. Instead I study
the sleepless part of sleep called slow wave sleep. During this phase of
sleep the EEG shows large amplitude, slower waves (0.5 -5 Hz), in
comparison with waking waves (in the beta range above 15 Hz to 40 Hz).
These waves are associated with the most restorative part of sleep and
memory consolidation. Right now I'm working on a somehow transhumanist
project that is to develop an automatic system that can recognize the sleep
phases and follow the EEG and then tries to enhance the slow wave sleep by
stimulating the brain with sounds at the right frequency and phase. I'm
using a Phase Locked Loop to actually lock on the brain patterns during
slow wave sleep and then play back to the brain these same patterns to
exploit possible resonances in the relevant neural network.

We have done a pilot study (also testing every day the system on myself to
try many different parameters and set up) and we got an increase of slow
wave power anything in between 20-50 % that is more than what you get with
some of the sedative drugs available.
I hope one day to develop a system that is portable and easy enough to use
that people could actually use it at home with a wireless EEG and smart
phone.
Just wanted to share this with the group, sleep is a cool subject.

Giovanni