[ExI] Fwd: [ZS] Project RES: #cryptoparties

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Aug 26 12:21:38 UTC 2012

On 26/08/2012 13:46, BillK wrote:
> You need to be a bit of an enthusiastic nerd to learn about privacy,
> anonymity, and cryptographic technologies. Most people can't be
> bothered / don't think it is worth the effort. There are a few basics
> which help a bit with privacy, but it starts getting complicated /
> technical quite quickly. Most offices find that security and
> convenience are trade-offs and convenience usually wins.

I recommend reading Bruce Schneier for a start. His sensible take on
security and privacy is a good foundation for figuring out what
protections you really want to take. Starting with tools is the wrong
way around: first figure out what you want to protect yourself from.

For example, my personal threat profile is largely 1) drive-by-hacking
from automated scripts and trojans, interested in using my computer as
part of a botnet or steal credit card information, 2) crazies obsessed
with transhumanism (I do have a few people who think i am part of the
giant CIA-Sweden-Transhumanist mindcontrol project). The fact that
various ISPs and data aggregation companies can guess my taste in
pornography is not a problem unless they tell the crazies. That
governments can mine my data is not much of a problem since I do my
subversion in the open, often by talking at government agency functions.
So that suggests that I should focus on making sure I don't gobble up
trojans, and ensure I have a safely uncorrelated set of passwords for
online services.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute