[ExI] Fwd: [ZS] Project RES: #cryptoparties

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 16:24:29 UTC 2012

On 26 August 2012 14:21, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> For example, my personal threat profile is largely 1) drive-by-hacking
> from automated scripts and trojans, interested in using my computer as part
> of a botnet or steal credit card information, 2) crazies obsessed with
> transhumanism (I do have a few people who think i am part of the giant
> CIA-Sweden-Transhumanist mindcontrol project). The fact that various ISPs
> and data aggregation companies can guess my taste in pornography is not a
> problem unless they tell the crazies. That governments can mine my data is
> not much of a problem since I do my subversion in the open, often by
> talking at government agency functions. So that suggests that I should
> focus on making sure I don't gobble up trojans, and ensure I have a safely
> uncorrelated set of passwords for online services.

Can't say that I have much to hide or protect myself, and I regularly opt
for "all-public" and "lowest privacy level" everywhere on the basis of the
principle "do not put online any kind of information or statement that you
would like not to be in public domain now or in the future".

I have however two reasons for being relatively passionate about privacy,
or rather security, issues:
- the first, that adopting effective measures of such nature even if you do
not need them may be a "political" duty inasmuch as it may avoid that their
adoption becomes a "red flag" for sensitive content for legal and illegal
snoopers alike;
- the second, that as a practising lawyer, I have specific duties to offer
a proportionate degree of protection to secrets that are not mine in the
first place.

--
Stefano Vaj