[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 14:21:54 UTC 2012

On 27 August 2012 15:22, Charlie Stross <charlie.stross at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me enumerate some of the ways this doesn't work.
>
> Firstly: the definition of "unemployed people" is a movable feast, even if
> we examine people of working age. Is somebody in a hospital bed with
> locked-in syndrome unemployed? How about early-onset dementia? Or paranoid
> schizophrenia? Or someone with terminal cancer, or post-viral syndrome
> (some days they can work, other days they can barely get out of bed due to
> fatigue and muscle pain).

Let us take another traditional "anticapitalist" theme which is much less
debated these days in comparison with welfare.

What about people who do not work because they are rentiers (annuitants,
people living of their means, whatever one says in English) or are
maintained by others?

Should appropriate socials pressures exist to have them contribute to the
community they live in?

--
Stefano Vaj