[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:57:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Charlie Stross
<charlie.stross at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or even further: *why* do we consider it useful or morally good for everyone to make a tangible contribution?

Can we please consider dumping the Calvinist notion that to be moral
and to deserve what you get, and for it to have value, you must work
for it?

We can all see advanced automation coming, and we're all familiar with
the flying sabots that speak to the fear of losing one's means of
survival.   Can't we just accept that at some point, when productivity
is up and employment down, to prevent class warare, we're going to
have to provide -- essentially free of charge -- a guaranteed
subsistence to everyone?  The fact that our current value system
considers this "wrong" in a variety of ways does not alter the
impending reality.

Just one source of drama in a rapidly changing world.

Best, Jeff Davis

              "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                                   Ray Charles