[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 28 04:47:59 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

On 27/08/2012 17:11, Charlie Stross wrote:

>>... Back off even further: how does one define "contribute to the
community they live in"? ...

>...I am often thinking about this, since I live an ultra-privileged life as
an Oxford scholar. Sure, I do grant hunting and need to publish or perish,
but let's face it: it is a creative job with no heavy lifting, light demands
and very flexible hours in a lovely place. Am I really contributing
anything? Sure, I research how to deal with existential risk and how to
improve ethics and rationality, things I consider to be important... but I
do know there are people who think what I am doing is complete ivory tower
stuff divorced from reality. What if they are right?...

What if they are right?  Then those who feel that way need not to contribute
to your grants.  Anders, do let me assure you sir, humanity needs it ivory
towers, even if they are sometimes ridiculed.  The ivory towers help us
navigate the seas of moral ambiguity in which we find ourselves every day of
our lives.

Do what you do so very well and don't worry about insufficient contribution.
Your life is a fantasy to me: living at Oxford, dealing with those topics,
that whole scholarly life is just monster kewall.  We cannot all do that, so
we choose you.