[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:44:00 UTC 2012

On 28 August 2012 01:49, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> But just as scary as lack of food and shelter is loss of social status.
> Many people get their social positions from their jobs (or think they do),
> and that is threatened by this trend even if there is an endless supply of
> material security. In fact, if material security doesn't matter then social
> status becomes nearly the only thing. So this suggests that high-status
> people are going to react even less well to automation of their jobs than
> low-status people. So it might be the creatives who have the worst
> situation in the long run: they self-identify with their skills, and
> automation threatens their self concepts.

Yes, I fully agree. In fact, this is even more accurate for the kind of
"creative" work which is purely artistic, literary, philosophical, etc.,
where status, sense of personal fulfilment, fame, peer-recognition and
other non-monetary rewards play an even larger role than they can for, say,
an art director or a trial lawyer.

--
Stefano Vaj