[ExI] what if

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Dec 15 00:33:46 UTC 2012

On 13/12/2012 23:58, John Grigg wrote:
> And would we be at the same level of technology as we are now?   Or
> vastly less?  Or even much more advanced?

God-emperors can make things go either way.

The problem with the Roman empire was that they were very practical, but
they did not do much systematic theorizing. The Greeks and Hellenes were
much better at that. So if the Romans were to go Christian at an early
stage (I assume Jesus would replace Tiberius and pre-empt Caligula and
the rest of the sorry end of the Julian dynasty) the Greek inheritance
would be even more weakened. That suggests even less tech development,
but plenty of very good craftsmanship.

--
Andreas Arenamontanus,
Futura humanitatis  Instituti