[ExI] Energy Defeatism

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 16:10:30 UTC 2012

 Is the answer then not to use 75% or more less?
We have huge inefficiencies in the generation and distribution system coupled with the consumerism production waste of energy. A late 1800's Victorian water turbine was recently refurbished here in the UK and only needed a guide vane replaced. A simple flat piece of metal curved at one end. Previously it had a couple of fixing bolts replaced in the 1970's at the cost of a few £'s. Look at that kind of bullet proof built to last technology which has harnessed millions of KW in energy and compare to a modern squirrel cage wind turbine that needs electricity to run along with constant maintenance and a short life expectancy.
There is a lot of savings that could be made using existing and old school technology. Even old school production vs modern material scrimping as the above water turbine proves. We often believe that minimising materials, lighter, smaller etc is better and greener. All things considered it usually isn't.

Personally I have just installed a woodburning stove and have slapped a couple of TEG modules on the side. It is running a couple of cree LED's to light the room. This is via a joule thief circuit which improves efficiency. A perfect example of how reducing energy consumption (via pmw light production vs constant light) and using old and new tech combined can meet the need without resorting to fanciful solutions which cost a fortune. And its carbon neutral. Surely this kind of decentralized solution is far better than providing me with energy sourced from some new solar satellite. Just so I can continue to light and heat my room inefficiently?

Just to add. My home is actually older than that Victorian turbine. It bleeds heat yet I am legally not allowed to what is needed to insulate due to planning regulations (facepalm!). One one hand we are being forcibly taxed in order to make us go green, yet we are also being prevented from doing so by the very same people. Ludicrous! In fact I have broken several laws by installing the woodburner myself and the addition of the TEG's which are unproved under existing electrical building regs.

optimistic? As a species far from it. From a personal view, yes.