[ExI] repercieve the economy [was: Engineering]

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Sat Dec 22 13:36:55 UTC 2012

re: roquefort Not at all.  If you are eating roquefort only for its energy value then yes, stop eating it. There is always merit in some uneconomic activity whether that is calculated in money or energy.
The point is to change the majority emphasis from focus on tricks for collecting and generating more worthless paper to a focus on efficiency and innovation.
The chain you mention and more so in my example where the tanker is resold again and again; is designed to maximise profit at every point. Profit in terms of cash. If the energy efficiency=profit then maximising it automatically makes it pointless to have long chains. Producer to supplier becomes most profitable to everyone. The point being It makes middlemen uneconomic.

There is nothing to actually stop me being inefficient and I could have many reasons to do it. To someone that needs a specific type of fuel, extracting it at an uneconomic energy cost may still be worth it if he really needs to run something.
Also, today why should I take time cutting wood for the stove when I can use cheap gas to heat the house? Sometimes the uneconomic activity is worth the freedom, independence and resilience that a private source gives.