[ExI] self driving cars again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 27 20:23:57 UTC 2012

Car companies and auto engineers are all for driver aids, and are
developing neat systems that 1) sell cars, 2) fit into existing legal
frameworks, and 3) can be developed in the same way as other car systems.

Meanwhile Google, DARPA and the others are total outsiders who view cars
as robots-to-be, aiming at full autonomy. These two groups do not
understand each other. Maybe we are going to see a disruptive takeover
like when Apple took over the music business, maybe we are going to see
a total failure to produce anything saleable (like any number of
dotcoms). Maybe we end up with a car app store.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute