[ExI] tests again

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 07:46:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> >…  In the real world, we all have access to externalized knowledge.  The
> test is designed to show how effectively the technician can access that
> external knowledge pool out there on the internet.  All suggestions
> welcome.  Spike

Be careful: if your test becomes popular enough, then someone
is likely to eventually write up the questions and answers they
faced.  In other words, their version of the test itself may become
part of this externalized knowledge.

> What I am toying with now is using one of Thune’s techniques to have a
> scaled score.  For instance, if the word “valve” or “valves” does not
> appear in the answer, I see no way to award any points.  But there should
> be a way to give a little more credit if the geek answered “Adjusting valve
> lash.”  Even more if the response is “Adjusting exhaust valve lash, which
> you know is the exhaust valve because of discoloration.”   Even more if the
> response is “Adjusting valve lash on one of the old BMW  air cooled boxer
> twin motorcycles, which you know was built before 1993 because of the way
> those pushrods come in on the under-side of the cylinder.”

What if they just said "Adjusting lash", with all those other words,
rather than "Adjusting valve lash".  They clearly got it, but 0 points
for leaving out the one word?  Such all-or-nothing rules can fall prey
to that type of problem in any sufficiently complex situation, such
as identifying what the person in that photo is doing.