[ExI] Expansion of the Universe

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Dec 31 13:14:07 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-31 13:08, Tomaz Kristan wrote:
>  > We probably want to *stop* the galaxy as it arrives
>
> Don't worry! It will be stopped with the galaxy coming from the opposite
> direction.

Seen galaxy collision simulations? Galaxies pass right through each
other. There is some dynamical friction, but it is very small compared
to the velocities between in-falling galaxies. You end up with two
scattered galaxies moving apart.

> In the case of the eternal inflation we should consider this very
> seriously. Building a hyper-massive black hole here.

Do you want the extra mass in order to reduce tidal forces at the
horizon? It is not clear that extra mass is terribly useful when
breeding baby universes.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute