[ExI] good bexarotene article

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:36:41 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM, spike wrote:
> BillK, if we manage to help Snowmed or something analogous to it go
> mainstream and it turns into a really useful life extension tool, it could
> be the very most important achievement the transhumanist movement has ever
> accomplished.  All our yakkity yak and bla bla here over the years would
> pale in comparison to contributing to Snowmed or equivalent going critical
> mass.  I define success as creating sufficient awareness that the unwashed
> hordes of internet humanity will use it.  Then from that, the next success
> is the creation of digital health profiles that we can somehow chew on in
> background processes.  Then perhaps GIMPS, Folding at home and all those guys
> might contribute a few trillion cycles per second to the effort.
>
> Success would be the creation of some kind of user interface which would
> allow a prole to go in and enter, perhaps anonymously, what diseases they
> have suffered, what they ate, where they live, what they smoked, when they
> were born, what damn junk they poked into their veins to build muscle or
> just for kicks, etc, then have the software reduce all that to a digital
> signature and drop it into Snowmed.

Snowmed is already in widespread use around the world. For example,
the new UK NHS computerised patient records system has adopted the
Snowmed classification system.

Unfortunately the coding system involving disease and all the
sub-categories is too complex for most proles to use. Doctors have
years of training to understand what is going on.

The other problem is that these medical records are scattered around
in hospital systems, insurance systems, doctor's systems, etc. in
thousands of separate computer records systems.

Nobody is collecting it all into one database. Probably because of
patient confidentiality as you said.

It would probably take somebody like Google to collect it all
together. It might happen eventually, when the government decides it
wants to know absolutely everything about everyone. That's the way
things are going anyway.

BillK