[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 03:24:06 UTC 2012

Spike says:

> "This notion can be extended to the kinds of advances we transhumanists
> might expect.  We may find technological advances which allow superior
> performance, such as steroids for instance.  Are we then expected to eschew
> these advances because every yahoo cannot afford it?  What if we find out
> that bexarotene really does cure Alzheimer’s?   What if we are then told we
> cannot have it because every Alzheimer’s patient cannot afford it?
> Wouldn’t be fair you know."

It's the 10 years and $800+ Million that it costs to satisfy the FDA that
makes these drugs cost $50000to $100,000 per year. I can bet that the
active ingredients cost no more than a few hundredths of a cent per dose.
But to amortize the cost of approval over the number of expected sales and
then make a profit - that boosts it to this extreme level.

Short of getting rid of the FDA, one remedy is outright piracy. Maybe flash
bio-mobs that get together just long enough to produce a year's worth of a
particular drug and take orders online via mirrored sites. I'd like to hear
other, practical, options that don't involve having to convince the voters
to elect a Libertarian (RP) as President...