[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 27 03:55:10 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

>...(And then there's the non-FDA parts of the cost to actually develop the
drug in the first place, but you're talking piracy anyway.)

Thanks Adrian, but I disagree, if I understand you correctly.  If I try to
make aspirin myself, that is not piracy since the patents have long since
expired.  If I find some use for aspirin other than headaches, that isn't
piracy either.  If I find some off-label use for a drug and take it for that
purpose, that isn't piracy, the manufacturer makes her sale regardless of
what malady I suffer.

If I figure out how the drug is made and I take the responsibility of using
the process on less refined constituents, and I am not selling that drug to
others, I don't see that this is piracy either.  I don't have T-cell
lymphoma, so my taking bex isn't hurting their sales.

Question: is it piracy to blab on the internet about dissolving reagent
grade bexarotene in alcohol rather than buying their fancy pants patented
and FDA-approved Targretin?