[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 27 03:15:43 UTC 2012

From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]

>.Sooner or later, it will occur to the population that if bexarotene helps
Alzheimer's patients, perhaps it will also help those who do not have
Alzheimer's but whose youth occurred tragically many years ago, and these
have sufficient funds to finance the meds themselves.  Why not?  spike

Well hell, since I offered us all permission to answer our own questions, I
will do so now.

Why not try bexarotene myself?  If I can get some of this stuff, I am
willing to rely on my own calculations and research regarding bexarotene
manufacturing, its intermediate components and its catalysts, aluminum
trichloride and sodium hydroxide, the concentrations thereof, and my studies
regarding solubility.  Why not?

The stoner crowd is willing take appalling risks to poke junk into their
veins and sniff or eat god knows what, manufactured by who knows, with  huge
motive for all intermediate handlers to add who knows to increase profits,
and yet no problem, up the nose with it, fearless as hungry lion.  But when
we get a known medication taken not for kicks but to possibly defeat a
horrifying disease, suddenly we go all wobbly kneed?  Come on, someone
explain this to me please.

No one?  OK, good, here's the plan, if I can get some of this (still
looking.)  A therapeutic dose of bexarotene is 75 mg.  My suspicion is that
it is not completely dissolved to the molecular level in the form of
Targretin, but I might be wrong, so my strategy is to take a tenth of that
dose, in a form I know is completely dissolved, in about 10 grams of
alcohol.  Then I watch and test myself for any signs of hypothyroidism or
any increase in memory, or anything else, and I am FREEEEE of all ethical
dilemmas, ja?  I cannot be faulted for taking the stuff myself, right?
Cannot I pretend that it is some kind of dope, in which case our modern
society's notions of ethics mysteriously excuse the devourer from all
responsibility and accountability?  Why do the stoners get a free pass but
we amateur researchers don't?

Come on, my fellow extropians, toss me a bone here, offer a suggestion, talk
me out of this if there is a good reason this is a bad idea.  Otherwise,
suggest a place where I might get some bexarotene.  I feel like I am sailing
uncharted waters alone.