[ExI] coming this fall, lab grown meat

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 18:08:05 UTC 2012

2012/2/29 spike <spike66 at att.net>
> From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
> >... assuming that you should eat any at all of such in the first place. :-)
> >The only real rationale to do that being that you would be otherwise starve to death. -- Stefano Vaj
>
> Sure but keep in mind Stefano that much of humanity and most wild beasts are always hungry.  I hear the world human population is coming up on 7 billion last October.  My memories are still fresh from a dozen years ago of reaching 6 billion.  We wouldn’t be very far off if we say in general, humankind lives on rice and potatoes.

Yes. This is why I qualified my stance as above.

And I also keep well in mind that it is only the relative "abundance"
of food granted by the neolithic revolution that allowed us to develop
the so-called "higher cultures", with settled communities, division of
labour, further technological progress, infrastructures, etc.

It is just tragic that we had to pay (and we still pay, as long as we
do not live as hunter-and-gatherers, or at the opposite end as
affluent, enlightened members of our richest societies) with dire
health consequences and reduced lifespans.

Of course, the true transhumanist attitude is demanding the proceeds
of pies and refusing to eat it too. :-)

--
Stefano Vaj