[ExI] pat condell's excellent rant on atheism

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:09:24 UTC 2012

On 2 January 2012 18:02, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Rant humor isn't for everyone.  He tickles my funnybone.  He made one point
> worth repeating: we atheists must maintain focus on the harmful stuff, such
> as religion with political power of any kind.  The harmless stuff, let it
> go.

I think he makes one point: I am myself offended that the ostension of
christian symbols should be deemed as potentially "offensive" to some
people - normally believers in some competingly intollerant persuasion, or
even maniacal atheists.

In fact, and this I believe is a line from Giulio Prisco, I am inclined to
be offended by those who are "offended" by anything at all which does not
actually punch them in the nose and they can easily turn their head away
from.

Including blasphemy, hymns to pedophilia, hate speech, bioLuddism, bad
taste, and yes, Nativity scenes. :-)

An entirely different issue is whether public money, eg, should be spent to
promote some symbols that are not mine to the detriment of other, or to
imply that we live in a confessional country. But this is not intolerance;
intolerance if anything is to demand that such symbols and persuasions
maintain an exclusivity right or preferential status as it is still
constitutionally the case in Italy.

--
Stefano Vaj