[ExI] super soldier ants

Kasey Anderson kaseylinanderson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 21:33:06 UTC 2012

Dang it, I've been deemed sane?  That puts a real dent in my reputation. :D

I'm not saying setting giant ants on slugs wouldn't be fun to try.  You
provide an interesting perspective on the idea that slugs wouldn't be able
to adapt to the ants with a goo layer.  However, it doesn't necessarily
mean that nature won't find another way around the problem.  This sort of
predator/prey evolution is something nature is quite good at. :)  One
possible adaptation, for instance, is that the slugs would simply become
bigger over time, making it more difficult for the ants to prey on them.
 This however might slow the slugs down as well.  Without experimentation,
however, it'd be really impossible to tell.

Providing nothing really horrifying happened during testing, however, I'd
be perfectly happy to risk the chance that the slugs would find a way to
evolve out of the situation.  As you mentioned, evolution isn't really a
problem; we've been using antibiotics for years and they have most
assuredly proved useful despite the fact that bacteria are finding ways to
resist our solutions.  Any solution that can buy us a few decades gives us
the chance to come up with a better solution.  It's fine if things evolve
around our defenses, as long as we can stay a step ahead and have more
defenses ready for them afterward.

You would have to test this quite extensively, preferably in a contained
environment, before releasing the bugs into many fields, although since you
mentioned that the ants die after a few days, I can't imagine they would be
able to cause a whole lot of damage.

I do wonder with the whole earthworm issue whether there are species of
ants that eat slugs and not earthworms, though.  It seems like the
researchers' genetic manipulation is widespread to a large variety of ants.
 Maybe we should write them a letter and ask them what they'd recommend. ;)

>>Do feel free to tell us about Kasey.  Is it OK for me to mention your
highly esteemed ExI-chat relative?

Here spike, I'll address both things at the same time and save you the
trouble. ;)  I'm Kasey Anderson, daughter of Kelly Anderson, who has been
hanging around the list for quite a while. :)  I'm currently majoring in
Biomedical Engineering and planning on getting a PhD in the field
eventually as well.  I just started a new semester today and am pretty
excited as I'll be starting to work with a professor on a research project
involving a drug delivery system which has just recently been discovered.
 (I'll be testing a couple of different drugs that will hopefully help to
alleviate some of the problems involved with inflammation that occurs with
dialysis).

I'm taking a lot of really fun classes and in addition, I'll be continuing
to tutor other college students (something I've been doing since high
school, as I took around 60 college credits between 10th-12th grade), which
is really a blast.

I have a couple of ideas for what to do with my degree.  One of my current
goals is to write a science fiction novel.  I'm also thinking about the
possibility of eventually starting a tissue engineering business.  We'll
see if either of those things work out. ;)  At any rate, getting a degree
in BME isn't exactly going to leave me impoverished. :D In the shorter
term, I'm trying to do well enough to get into Stanford's PhD program.  I
finished off my first semester with a 3.9 GPA, so hopefully I can keep my
grades up.  As for the standardized testing part of getting into grad
school, I received a score in the top 5th percentile in the nation on the
SAT, so I'm confident I can transfer the testing skills I've learned to the
GED.

With the credits I've earned, I'm technically a junior now, but I've
basically just finished off my general education and have only taken a few
general science courses.  I'm 18 and just starting off my education, so try
not to mock me too incessantly if I get some aspect of science wrong.
(Especially physics.  I haven't taken any of that at a college level yet).
;)

-Kasey