[ExI] Eden, deep memes, exodus from the Ape God

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:48:03 UTC 2012

Yes...I was a bit too far-reaching in calling this the origin of *all*
human beliefs.  I still believe it is extremely plausible, though, that a
group of humans existed whose memory of past culture transmuted into many
of today's monotheistic beliefs.  An even broader point, though, would be
that the number of ancient societies whose memetic memories formed modern
culture is probably low--because successful beliefs eradicate unsuccessful
ones--and so I would predict that part of prehistory was a 'civilization'
bottleneck leading to rather similar belief systems for many, many of their
descendants.