[ExI] Panbiogenesis

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:45:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
> Well, in supernovae the problem is heating rather than acceleration.
>
> I wonder if anybody has run a hydrocode on what happens to a terrestrial
> planet subjected to its sun going supernova? It would be interesting to see
> if any material is ejected that is not subjected to extreme heating and
> radiation. Not that planets orbiting stars able to supernova are that likely
> to be filled with life - they have a very short lifespan.

I doubt if exploding suns eject any cooler material!  :)

But they can eject whole planets from their system and push some
planets out to larger orbits. Though those planets still exist, I
expect they are pretty crisply toasted.

See:
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/09/070914-red-giants_2.html>
Red Giant Sun May Not Destroy Earth