[ExI] Alzheimer's vaccine trial a success

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Jul 11 21:57:48 UTC 2012

El 2012-06-08 08:16, BillK escribió:
> [NEWS 6 June] A study led by Karolinska Institutet reports for the
> first time the positive effects of an active vaccine against
> Alzheimer's disease. The new vaccine, CAD106, can prove a breakthrough
> in the search for a cure for this seriously debilitating dementia
> disease. The study is published in the distinguished scientific
> journal Lancet Neurology.
> <http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?l=en&d=130&a=145109&newsdep=130>

Thanks for the very useful news, and thanks again to Spike, for efforts
in getting the straight dope on bexarotene, all of which is now even
more important to me personally, since yet another person I know was
just diagnosed with (very early stage) Alzheimer's.

Did some digging on what else might be available to him that his docs
don't know about. For those who might find this information useful, take
a look at

- creatine, at least if the patient carries apoE ε4:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
(Look at the full text, avail. for free -- which is actually mostly
about the effects of creatine supplementation in people without
Alzheimer's -- first couple pages, to see the snippet about Alzheimer's.)

and

- metformin, if the patient is diabetic (and maybe even if they're not):
http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/fulltext/S1934-5909%2812%2900174-9

Both of these are mostly shots in the dark, since so little research has
been done on them in connection with Alzheimer's, but they're likely not
harmful. (B12 status has to be monitored with metformin.)

-Brian