[ExI] First PhD to an AGI

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jul 15 00:24:03 UTC 2012

On 14/07/2012 22:37, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> With our newly minted doctor in residence, the question occurs to me
> as to when you think an accredited university will first award a
> doctorate degree to an artificial intelligence? Anyone want to put
> their bet into the pool as to when that might occur?

There are two kinds of cases: 1) a "joke" or honorary doctorate assigned
to some software as a publicity stunt, and 2) a serious doctorate due to
a real academic accomplishment.

Type 1 is not too unlikely in the near future as some minor university
desperately want to court publicity and pretends to give it. I would
guess sometime by 2020 or so, but it could happen tomorrow - there are
robot scientists now after all.

Type 2 is trickier: doctorates are legal claims, and in most countries I
think you need to be a legal person to get one. So then the question
becomes when you think AGIs will be legal persons somewhere. I suspect
it will take a while even after AGI arrives - any sane legal system
would be cautious about software persons.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute