[ExI] First PhD to an AGI

Kryonica kryonica at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 08:39:18 UTC 2012

On 14 Jul 2012, at 22:37, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> With our newly minted doctor in residence, the question occurs to me
> as to when you think an accredited university will first award a
> doctorate degree to an artificial intelligence? Anyone want to put
> their bet into the pool as to when that might occur?
>
> I'll go first, I'm guessing 2035.

Later than that because academics will fear the competition in a world in which the ONLY thing that distinguishes them from their cleverer AI competitors is a piece of paper with "Ph D" printed on it.  So how long will it take them to give in?  For computer scientists and mathematicians, perhaps not that long because their fear will be overcome by their admiration for their own brainchildren.  For people working in the humanities, much longer.  Say 2050 for computer science and 2070 for English or History.  And I think the first Ph D in Theology awarded an AI will only be so after a long fight with the Vatican and only once the pope himself is a cyborg.  Say 2250 or thereabout, judging from how long it took the Church to come to terms with the theory of evolution.