[ExI] types of cars and ethics

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu Jul 26 14:31:19 UTC 2012

Eugen wrote:

> Over 1% went out of their way to drive over turtles.
>
> I like turtles.
>
> Plus, tendency to drive over living things *did*
> correlate with SUV use. In USia, at least.

Ugh. I like turtles too. I've stopped and moved them from
the road - in the direction they were headed. The most
challenging was a snapper!

I also like snakes. And have moved them as well. (Most
recently a 5 foot black rat snake.)

I live (and drive) on narrow curving hilly country roads
with no shoulders so anything small like that that's
visible is likely *on* the road, and there's not much
avoiding to be done.

In my experience, many men will aim for cats, most people
will avoid dogs. Not sure if it's the size thing, but I
suspect it is all these guys love dogs and dislike cats.

Squirrels will suicide, it's very strange. They see the
car coming, they sit and watch, and as the car reaches
them they dash into the road - under the wheels. Thunk.

Rabbits are hard to avoid, because they run so many
directions - never sticking to a straight course off the
road, but tacking back and forth in front of the vehicle.

Possums are slow and nobody seems to care. Too sad, as
they're rather cool critters.

I've never met a woman who aimed for animals, *except*
they will aim for snakes. Bummer. Do they expect the snake
to fly up off the ground and into the SUV? :*

Regards,
MB