[ExI] self driving cars

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jun 2 11:36:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 10:52:38PM -0700, spike wrote:

> I already knew that the senior crowd will need self-drivers.  All six
> parents (in-laws and steps) need self-drivers now, for various medical
> conditions, most related to slow reflexes and/or degrading eyes.  But if the

Seniors here are now responsible for more accidents than young drivers.

> young will embrace the technology as well as the old, I predict the market
> penetration for self-drivers will be relatively fast.  The slowest to accept
> self-drivers may be those of us in the middle, we who have had cars all our
> adult lives.

I always hated driving. In fact, I dislike most machines or human
structures, as they're almost always so ugly. The less intrusive
the technology, the better. Ideal technology is completely invisible.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.