[ExI] self driving cars

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 13:38:39 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Seniors here are now responsible for more accidents than young drivers.

Because an aging population produces more seniors?

You have to watch these accident stats. They tend to count seniors as
all over age 65. Which could be a 30 year spread.
Young drivers tend to get analysed in much smaller spreads.
e.g. up age 20, 20-25, 25-35.

> I always hated driving. In fact, I dislike most machines or human
> structures, as they're almost always so ugly. The less intrusive
> the technology, the better. Ideal technology is completely invisible.
>
> Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

I think we'll need roads for quite a while yet.

It will probably be 2020 before a decent iPad / iPhone arrives.
Say 2025 for a bit better medical system.
Probably 2030 for widespread driverless cars.

After 2040 for tech being customarily built into human bodies for
enhanced capabilities and enhanced lifespans.

(Here we start asking 'Where's that Singularity that was promised?').

BillK