[ExI] Physical limits of electromagnetic launchers

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 20:48:30 UTC 2012

Friends,

I ran some numbers through the calculator.  Used one Kg in order to get a
unit centripetal force -- ie force per Kg,... used 0.1c for the velocity,
and 100,000,000 miles for the ring radius (rounded up the 93,000,000 mile
earth orbit radius) and got 57 times the force of 1kg at one gee.

For launching solid stuff, this a manageable problem right?.  Humans, using
a temporary liquid breathing medium (fluorocarbons) and immersed in liquid
might be able to tolerate this gee load.

If you make the radius 100 times larger, then the gee force goes down to
2.5.  Now I know a ring 100 AU in radius is big, but traveling to the stars
is a big project, no?

Regarding the Bremstrahlung/maglev heating problem, I can't comment, I'm
only very slightly acquainted with that physics.

Best, Jeff Davis