[ExI] Physical limits of electromagnetic launchers

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jun 3 23:50:37 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 21:48, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I ran some numbers through the calculator.  Used one Kg in order to
> get a unit centripetal force -- ie force per Kg,... used 0.1c for the
> velocity, and 100,000,000 miles for the ring radius (rounded up the
> 93,000,000 mile earth orbit radius) and got 57 times the force of 1kg
> at one gee.
>
> For launching solid stuff, this a manageable problem right?.  Humans,
> using a temporary liquid breathing medium (fluorocarbons) and immersed
> in liquid might be able to tolerate this gee load.

Well, humans tend to get squashed around this acceleration. The world
record of survival was 46 Gs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force#Typical_examples_of_g-force
But in my problem I am looking at specially designed high acceleration
tolerant solid payloads - think bricks of diamond and nanomachines.

Basically I am trying to estimate the limits of how quickly a single
Dysoned star could spam the universe with colony probes. Most of the
analysis has been done already, but I would like to be certain that the
launch systems are feasible.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute