[ExI] [New_Cryonet] Re: Economics of Cryonics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jun 12 17:20:14 UTC 2012

----- Forwarded message from holyspiritdenier <holyspiritdenier at gmail.com> -----

From: holyspiritdenier <holyspiritdenier at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:00:06 -0700
To: New_Cryonet at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [New_Cryonet] Re: [ExI] Economics of Cryonics

Cryonics costs money and involves things you can do in the here-and-now,
whereas transhumanism costs nothing and involves make-believe about things
in "the future." I suspect these facts create a barrier which many
transhumanists refuse to cross.

Transhumanists also have more and more trouble maintaining their illusions
about "technological acceleration" when their own celebrities like Peter
Thiel (a speaker at several transhumanism-themed conferences) argue that
most forms of engineering & technology have stagnated over the past 40
years.

I have to admit that I saw this differently as an unsophisticated youth
from Oklahoma. Robert Ettinger makes an explicit connection between the
goals of the cryonics movement as he saw them and a transhumanist outlook
in his book *Man Into Superman,* a book I read as a teenager in 1974 and
which got me interested in cryonics. Ettinger even predicts accelerating
change in that book, back when the idea seemed plausible given the
introduction of new technologies after the Second World War. With a longer
baseline behind us, however, we can see that except in computing, we've
wound up depending on many technologies which haven't changed that much
since the 1970's.

Given the disconnection between the transhumanist conceit and the
observable reality, I would like to see the cryonics movement decouple from
transhumanism so that we can pursue our own practical goals apart from the
geek fads of the month.

--
Mark Plus

"If wishing doesn't work, try working." (Robert Ettinger)

----- End forwarded message -----