[ExI] Universal eclectic fecundity was Horizontal Genetic Transfer

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:53:58 UTC 2012

Another list I read had a view-with-alarm post on horizontal genetic transfer.

I saw an opportunity to post something appropriate from one of my
favorite authors.  Figured I would share it here as well.

>From _The Eyes of the Overworld_ by Jack Vance

Chapter 4, the Pilgrims, section 4: about page 142

The Silver Desert and the Songan Sea

[Cugel has tricked a group of pilgrims into making a trip across
inhospitable wasteland.  Here they are acquiring pack beasts.]

"And the price?" inquired Casmyre.

"This depends upon your choice; each beast commands a different value."

Garstang, who had been surveying the compound, shook his head
ruefully. "I confess to puzzlement. Each beast is of a different sort,
and none seem to fit any well-defined categories."

The keeper admitted that such was the case. "If you care to listen, I
can explain all. The tale is of a continuing fascination, and will
assist you in the management of your beasts."

"We will doubly profit to hear you, then," said Garstang gracefully,
though Cugel was making motions of impatience.

The keeper went to a shelf and took forth a leather-bound folio. "In a
past eon Mad King Kutt ordained a menagerie like none before, for his
private amazement and the stupefaction of the world. His wizard,
Follinense, therefore produced a group of beasts and teratoids unique,
combining the wildest variety of plasms; to the result that you see."

"The menagerie has persisted so long?" asked Garstang in wonder."

"Indeed not. Nothing of Mad King Kutt is extant save the legend, and a
case book of the wizard Follinense"  --here he tapped the leather
folio--'"which describes his bizarre systemology. For instance--" He
opened the folio. "Well . . . hmmm. Here is a statement, somewhat less
explicit than others, in which he analyzes the half-men, little more
than a brief set of notes:

Gid: hybrid of man, gargoyle, whorl, leaping insect.
Deodand: wolverine, basilisk, man.
Erb: bear, man, lank-lizard, demon,
Grue: man, ocular bat, the unusual hoon.
Leucomorph: unknown
Bazil: felinodore, man, (wasp?).'"

Casmyra clapped his hands hi astonishment. "Did Follinense then create
these creatures, to the subsequent disadvantage of humanity?"

"Surely not," said Garstang. "It seems more an exercise in idle
musing. Twice he admits to wonder."

"Such is my opinion, in this present case," stated the keeper, "though
elsewhere he is less dubious."

"How are the creatures before us then connected with the menagerie?"
inquired Casmyre.

The keeper shrugged. "Another of the Mad King's jocularities. He
loosed the entire assemblage upon the countryside, to the general
disturbance. The creatures, endowed with an eclectic fecundity, became
more than less bizarre, and now they roam the Plain of Oparona and
Blanwalt Forest in great numbers."

^^^^^^^^

We live in an era of universal eclectic fecundity.  Hybrids of
elephants and orchids, oh my.

Keith