[ExI] How to survive forever

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Jun 14 22:16:36 UTC 2012

Here is a small tech report I did with a colleague
http://www.aleph.se/papers/Survival2.pdf
(it will move to a proper home on the FHI server shortly)

The result is likely not new at all, but it is pretty cute: if you
gradually (at a logarithmic rate) make more and more backup copies you
can keep your survival probability finite to the end of time. This works
even for time-varying risks and some correlated risks.

I just wonder if one can come up with a more secure defence against
systemic risks than the hierarchical one we sketch near the end. Could
one do something clever based on the Byzantine general problem?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute