[ExI] How to survive forever

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 15 08:45:13 UTC 2012

On 15/06/2012 07:40, BillK wrote:
> I know it is a common assumption that if you wait long enough, then
> *anything* might happen. But 'long enough' is probably longer than the
> life of our universe, so we can ignore the risk.

Well, the universe is open, so "long enough" looks like it is going to
happen.

Freeman Dyson calculated the black hole implosion time for human-sized
objects in
http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Global/Omega/dyson.txt
to 10^10^26 years, assuming quantum black holes.

Using the Gamow formula in section F for the head teleportation case, we
can assume the mass = 1 kg, d = 0.01 m, U=0.1 J (lifting a head one cm)
and we get the action sqrt(8MUd^2/hbar^2) = 8.48e31, and hence the
characteristic timescale will be around 10^(3.6*10^31) [This is in the
big range where it doesn't matter much whether we measure time in Planck
time or years, hence T_0 also disappears].

So, we should be more worried about imploding than decapitation.

> So for the sake of the theory you might be setting your risk limit
> higher than is necessary in practice.

It is still applicable if you are dealing with high risks, like storing
your files. Assuming you want to have a decent chance of them all
surviving, you should make an increasing number of separate copies.

Sure, you can make loads of them right now - spam the cloud! But that is
expensive. So instead you make a reasonable number. Next year you add an
extra backup. You wait two years, then add another. Wait four years, add
another. This is not too cumbersome.

The big problem is common mode faults: end of civilisation, EMP erasing
everything, you going nuts and wrecking the system, and so on. Once the
risk  of all backups breaking is lower than this set of risks there is
not much point in expanding.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute