[ExI] How to survive forever

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:25:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Well, the universe is open, so "long enough" looks like it is going to
> happen.
>
> Freeman Dyson calculated the black hole implosion time for human-sized
> objects in
> http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Global/Omega/dyson.txt
> to 10^10^26 years, assuming quantum black holes.

But he is only speculating, not defining.
That report is full of alternatives and assumptions about the future
course of the universe.

> It is still applicable if you are dealing with high risks, like storing your
> files. Assuming you want to have a decent chance of them all surviving, you
> should make an increasing number of separate copies.
>
> The big problem is common mode faults: end of civilisation, EMP erasing
> everything, you going nuts and wrecking the system, and so on. Once the risk
>  of all backups breaking is lower than this set of risks there is not much
> point in expanding.

I have no problem with making backups. Good idea!   :)

All I was saying was that you shouldn't mention impossible risks.
The end of civilisation, EMP  attack / nuclear wars, etc. are quite
sufficient to be going on with.

And there is also the probability that by covering yourself for the
normal expected risks you will indirectly also be covering yourself
for the unexpected risks. Every particular risk doesn't need it's own
particular solution.

For a simple case, if you make a backup copy to protect against a hard
disk failure you also protect against a horde of other less likely
risks which cause the destruction of the hard disk.
e.g. Fire, lightning strike, bomb, theft, etc.

BillK