[ExI] nintendo ds for grownups

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 19 18:45:41 UTC 2012

Question please, ExI gadget hipsters,

Ja, I know I could google on this and find out, but I would like the local
gadget hipsters to comment on the relative value of the commercially
available electronic gadgets, opinions welcome, something google couldn't
really do.  I am looking for a portable computer that has the same or very
similar form factor as a Nintendo DS, or could even be a derivative of that
remarkably competent little computer.  But I need  something with at least a
soft keyboard, enough memory to carry a bunch of spreadsheets and a few word
documents, and it needs to fit in a pocket, thus the DS form factor.  I
haven't been keeping up with the market, but I am confident such a thing
exists, and should be available for about the same as a DS, which is a
couple hundred bucks.

I had a palm pilot a dozen years ago, so what I want is a bigger version of
that, with the ability to hold my own spreadsheets.  But not a tablet; those
are a bit too big for my pocket and I still haven't figured out how to carry
one.  Not an iPhone: the screen is too small for my ageing eyes.  I don't
need video games, so I can use something like a portable gamer without the
thumb controls, but with the dual screens, one of which can be a soft
keypad.

The closest description I can manage is a Nintendo DS for grownups, perhaps
with a bit bigger screen.  Such a thing must exist.