[ExI] nintendo ds for grownups

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:50:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM, spike  wrote:
> I am looking for a portable computer that has the same or very
> similar form factor as a Nintendo DS, or could even be a derivative of that
> remarkably competent little computer.  But I need  something with at least a
> soft keyboard, enough memory to carry a bunch of spreadsheets and a few word
> documents, and it needs to fit in a pocket, thus the DS form factor.  I
> haven't been keeping up with the market, but I am confident such a thing
> exists, and should be available for about the same as a DS, which is a
> couple hundred bucks.
>
> I had a palm pilot a dozen years ago, so what I want is a bigger version of
> that, with the ability to hold my own spreadsheets.  But not a tablet; those
> are a bit too big for my pocket and I still haven't figured out how to carry
> one.  Not an iPhone: the screen is too small for my ageing eyes.  I don't
> need video games, so I can use something like a portable gamer without the
> thumb controls, but with the dual screens, one of which can be a soft
> keypad.
>
> The closest description I can manage is a Nintendo DS for grownups, perhaps
> with a bit bigger screen.  Such a thing must exist.

I think you want a mini netbook.

Unfortunately, fashion is killing them off as tablets become the
latest 'must-have' gadget.

You need to consider carefully your requirements. You want a small
size, but small size means you get a cramped keyboard with tiny keys
and a small screen that you can't see and is pretty much unusable for
spreadsheets. That's why customer demand has mostly replaced the 7"
screen netbooks with more popular 10" screen models.

So have a try of 7" and 10 " netbooks and see how they suit what you
have in mind.
You can always get a satchel or backpack if it is too big for your pocket.

BillK