[ExI] Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:04:56 UTC 2012

Hello everyone, haven't posted in like two years. We can quibble about
libertarianism, I don't blame the author for calling someone what they call
themselves, as in the case of Mr. Gilder. The article itself is actually
quite good (though a tad Marxist), and worthy of discussion.

The actual meat of the article is identifying something Peter Thiel has
discussed for a while now---the seeming slowdown of technological advance
in everything that isn't an information technology that began with the rise
of Big Science after WWII, and came to a virtual stop by the early 70s.
While I'm not sure I agree with the notion that such a slowdown has most
definitely occurred, there is a good amount of evidence pointing that way.

The heart of the article is it's identification of the problem: the rise of
bureaucratism in the world economy resulting from it's expansion from
corporations (or so the article says) to every area of life, including
science.

I don't think it's corporations that are the problem, but rather government
interventionism that began in the 30s with the New Deal (and to some degree
earlier) that caused the rise of bureaucracy in all areas of American life.
Nevertheless, I think the author is basically right, especially when he
talks about the conservatism in science (I can see it in academia already,
and I'm only entering graduate school this fall).
-Josh

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> > I am convinced that competition is good.
>

> Well, more to the point, competition is /inevitable/.  Competition is the
> only game in town, really.  Or out of town, for that matter.
>
> What other way of determining which of two different systems works better
> could there be?
>
> They aren't going to go "After you":  "No, no, after you!", are they?
>
> Ben Zaiboc

Joshua Job
nanite1018 at gmail.com