[ExI] Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 14:18:17 UTC 2012

On 19 June 2012 00:53, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> In my mind, what is really great about capitalism is that it fosters
> competition, and competition fosters excellence.  It settles arguments:
> lets have a race.  Let’s see who is strongest, fastest, most agile.  Debate
> on which system is best?  No problem, let’s see which one makes for the
> best outcome, as measured in wealth.

In principle, I would be inclined to agree. Only, is this really the case
in capitalist system? What about monopolies, barriers to entry, inertia,
the kind of class protection against social competition  and mobility that
enraged the original Social Darwinists, the monetary mechanisms well
described in things such as Money as Debt?

Moreover, no reason why we should not consider competition amongst systems
as well. Now, before its massive bureaucratisation in the aftermath of
WWII, the growth of Soviet economy consistently outperformed in percentage
that of the USA in spite of its being based on rather flawed, rigid and
ideological postulates. What about intangible aspects related to group
competition?

--
Stefano Vaj