[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon May 28 23:06:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Will Steinberg
<steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:
> You have just as little evidence.

I have pretty good evidence that human beings are conscious.

I think there is also reasonably good evidence that higher mammals are
also conscious, though without the neocortex, the experience would be
different in that it would be a "present only" consciousness, without
the advanced planning for the future and mirror neurons and all that.

> I believe the universe, multiverse, and
> anything involving energy exchanging/encoding information between physical
> memory systems--chemical reactions, light travelling across the universe,
> gravity uniting bodies--are conscious. There is nowhere you learned that
> consciousness requires emergence except by the beliefs that are held today.
>  A CNS is used for sapience, not sentience--they have different names for a
> reason.

Well, I'd like to say that someday we'll figure this all out, but I'm
afraid it will probably remain in the realm of philosophy and
religion.

I've told you my position, you've told me yours. I think we are done
on this topic... I think I am finished administering blunt trauma to
deceased equines.

-Kelly